In the early 1900's
the area around Annistown Elementary School was known as Annie's Town.
The site for Annistown Elementary School, located at 3150 Spain Road in
Lithonia, was previously a wooded hill covered with pines, dogwoods and
other hardwoods. Today, from the top of the hill, Stone Mountain can be
viewed by students and faculty as they come and go.
The need for Annistown
Elementary School came as a result of rapid growth in the Snellville/Stone
Mountain area. In 1979, a Gwinnett County bond referendum included this
school in its plan. The 23-acre site was selected in February of 1980.
Construction, using a self-contained classroom concept, began in May, 1980,
and was completed in August, 1981.
Since the original
building was constructed, two additions have been completed. In 1982, an
activity building was constructed behind the southeast end of the facility.
In 1988, a 12-room addition was added to accommodate rapid growth.
Approximately 87 percent
of Annistown's student population was drawn from Centerville Elementary,
and eight percent was drawn from Mountain Park Elementary. Approximately
five percent of the population was due to growth in the area.
The school's mascot
is the Annistown Tiger, which was chosen by Dr. Fred Rundle, the first
principal, and a group of teachers. They selected the colors blue and gold
for the School colors. School traditions include Skate Night, Annual Art
Show, School Talent Show, Fall Carnival, Spring dance, and PTA meetings
where students perform.
provided by Suzanne Daughtry, AES Historian.)