Trip will begin registering new students in June and July from
8:30 to 3:30, Monday through Thursday.
See information below for new student registration requirements and answers
to frequently asked questions.
Gwinnett County Public Schools Registration Information
Attendance zones for Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) are determined by geographical boundaries, called clusters. Within each cluster, there are three to six elementary schools, one or two middle schools, and one high school. Attendance lines drawn within the cluster's boundaries determine which elementary or middle school in the cluster a student attends. To find out which school your child will attend, call the GCPS Planning Department at (678) 301-7085.
Kindergarten in Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) is a full-day program. By state law, kindergarten and 1st grade students entering a Georgia public school for the first time must be age five on or before September 1 to enter kindergarten and age six on or before September 1 to enter 1st grade.
In all Georgia public schools, kindergarten students are evaluated during the year to determine their readiness for 1st grade. Parents of students coming to 1st grade from private kindergartens or out-of-state schools should call their local school for information about registration and evaluation.
The following documents are required for school enrollment:
• An official document showing proof of birth date. (Required for kindergarten and first-grade registration only.) Examples include an original birth certificate or birth registration, or an official state or federal form with date of birth.
• Evidence of vision, hearing, and dental exams obtained in the past year. This information must be on Georgia Form #3300, available only from the health department and from most Georgia physicians and dentists. Letters from appropriate healthcare professionals and out-of-state certificates are acceptable, if completed within the previous 12 months and stapled to the state form. These exams are available at Georgia health departments for a fee. There may be a nominal charge for transferring information to the state form.
• A Georgia certificate of immunization. All students entering a Georgia school for the first time, including those moving from another state or country, must have Georgia Form #3231 (Georgia Department of Human resources Certificate of Immunization) to show proof of appropriate immunizations. Form #3231 is available only from licensed Georgia physicians and the health department. Take your child's immunization records to a Georgia doctor or health department, where staff will complete the form. A fee may be charged to transfer the information. A fee may be charged if additional immunizations are required. State-required shots include Hepatitis B, DPT, Polio, HIB, two MMR shots, and Chicken Pox vaccine/proof of illness. A valid Form 3231 must be marked in the appropriate box with either “Complete for School Attendance” or “Date of Expiration.” By state law, a valid immunization form or immunization exemption (for medical or religious reasons) is required for enrollment. You may request an exemption from your local school. The health department closest to our school is in Lawrenceville, 324 W. Pike St. The Lawrence heath department phone number is 770-963-5142.
• Proof of residency in the attendance zone. Examples include a non-contingent sales contract, lease, or deed. A lease or deed must be accompanied by at least one utility bill (gas, water, electricity) with the same address. A contingency contract is not acceptable. Call the Registrar's office if you live with a friend or family member and need information about verifying your residency.
• Proof of custody/guardianship. A Letter of Guardianship is required for registration if the enrolling adult is not the birth parent. To learn more, contact Gwinnett County Probate Court at (770) 822-8265.
• The child's social security number. State law requires that schools ask for this number at the time of enrollment. Students will be enrolled, even if the number is not provided. However, parents will be asked to sign a waiver.
• A photo ID. The school may ask the enrolling adult to present a photo ID
Newcomer Information GCPS