Serving Students with Special Needs
|"Quality Learning through Quality Education for All Students."|
Gwinnett County Public Schools’ Department of Special Education and Psychological Services is an award-winning program focused on meeting the special needs of individual students. Students ages 3-21 are eligible for special education and related services within the district. In its quest to provide “Quality learning through quality education for all students,” the Department of Special Education provides a wide range of services, including assessment and interventions.
Mission: The Special Education and Psychological Services Department of Gwinnett County Public Schools will provide quality special education and psychological programs and services to students, parents, and schools in Gwinnett County.
- All students can learn and achieve over time.
- Special education programs in Gwinnett will become a part of and not a part from the general education program and services.
- We believe the family is the basic cornerstone of our society and we will provide support, encouragement, communication and understanding to parents, students, and family members.
- The Special Education and Psychological Services Department will be satisfied with nothing but excellence in the practice of our craft.
- Special Education and Psychological Services will not tolerate discrimination of any type in programs, services, or personnel.
- The Special Education and Psychological Services Department will employ the most current validated research, programs, curriculum, and interventions which are available and appropriate for the students and families we serve.
- We are committed to program accountability and data-driven decisions.
- We believe that students, parents, and schools are our primary customers.
- We believe in empowerment and know those closest to the problem or concern have the skills to solve them.
- We believe that communication is not just essential but is the lifeblood of any organization, program, or service in special education.
- We will dedicate our professional life to positive and constructive actions which will promote us as professionals and enhance our overall effectiveness and credibility in our community and state.