Class of 2006: Largest-ever class maintains high standards
|Nearly 7,500 seniors participated in graduation exercises at GCPS’ 16 high schools in late May. The Class of 2006 continues a GCPS tradition, with the vast majority of graduates headed for college in the fall. About 86 percent of expected 2006 graduates plan to attend college or postsecondary school. Most of those students, 85 percent, will stick close to home, attending state institutions. The other 15 percent plan to continue their education outside of Georgia.|
Of the students with postsecondary education plans, 66 percent expect to attend a four-year college or university. Another 25 percent plan to attend a two-year institution. Technical colleges draw the remaining 9 percent of school-bound students from this year’s class. Of the graduates with postsecondary plans, 87 percent expect to attend public schools, while the other 13 percent plan to attend a private institution.
As of late April, graduating seniors had been offered almost $51 million in academic, athletic, and military scholarships. Nearly three-quarters of that amount-- $36.7 million-- comes from academic scholarships. This amount does not include awards under the HOPE Scholarship Program. 19 percent of GCPS’ college-bound graduates reported scholarship offers. GCPS student-athletes had earned more than $13 million in athletic scholarships. As of May 1, five students had earned military appointments (one to the U.S. Air Force Academy, three to the U.S. Naval Academy, and one to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy).
Almost 20 percent of the class-- more than 1,450 students— walked across the stage as Honor Graduates, achieving a cumulative average of 90 or better. About 2 percent of the class was jointly enrolled in college and high school. And, about one in every three seniors (2,570) had taken one or more Advanced Placement (AP) courses during the 2005-06 school year for a total of 5,670 AP courses.