Kids Can Cook
"Gifts from the Kitchen"
Parmesan Star Croutons
Preheat Oven to 375º F
1 Loaf 100 % Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
6 ounces Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese (not the green container)
1 bunch Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley, chopped fine (get help from an adult!)
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
Star shaped Cookie Cutter (Various sizes, if you like!)
Baking Sheet, lined with foil or parchment paper
1. Spray the cookie sheet that is lined with foil or parchment paper with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Place one piece of bread on a flat surface. Cut out a star using the cutter. Place the bread star on the baking sheet.
3. Repeat step 2 until all bread is used. Note: if you use various size stars, place each size on a separate baking sheet to ensure even cooking!
4. Spray the stars with cooking spray. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese and parsley.
5. Bake at 375º F for 5 – 8 minutes, depending on the size of the stars, or until golden brown.
6. Remove stars from baking sheets and allow cooling on a wire rack.
7. Once star croutons are completely cool, place them into fun decorative bags and seal closed with a ribbon. Make a nice gift tag saying, “PARMESAN STAR CROUTONS”.
Yield 12 Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoon sugar
¼ teapoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
In a 2 cup jar or decorative bag, combine flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and walnuts. Attach gift tag. Give maple syrup and bananas with the pancake mix.
For gift tag:
In a small bowl, whisk together:
1 cup skim milk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup ripe mashed banana
Place pancake mix into a medium bowl.
Gently stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture
just until a lumpy batter forms.
Coat griddle or large non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
For each pancake, pour ¼ cup of the batter onto the griddle.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the top of the pancake bubbles and the
bottom is lightly browned. Turn the pancake over and cook for 2 minutes or
until the bottom is lightly browned. Transfer to a serving plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
For Gingerbread House Assembly and Decoration
1 to 1 ½ box powdered sugar, 10 X
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. In a medium bowl of an electric mixer, combine 1 box powdered sugar and cream of tartar.
2. Using the wire whisk attachment, whisk in egg whites and lemon juice until well-mixed; then increase speed, and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
3. Adjust consistency with sugar as needed. Place in pastry bag and pipe out as needed.