Check out upcoming GCPS calendar dates...
- March is Music in Our Schools Month, Youth Art Month, Women’s History Month, National Middle Level Education Month, National Nutrition Month, Social Work Month, Irish American Heritage Month, and American Red Cross Month.
- March 2 is Read Across America Day. Click here for more on this Dr. Seuss-inspired reading celebration.
- March 4 is the last day of the third grading period for students in ES and MS. The last nine weeks begins March 8. Expect report cards soon after that!
- March 7 will be a holiday for students or snow make-up day #2. (If students have a holiday, teachers and other staff will participate in professional learning and planning activities.) Click here to view a PDF of the student calendar.
- The School Board will meet on March 10.
- March 12 is the first testing day for the new writing SAT; however, registration is closed for this test date. The next test date for the new SAT I is May 7 (registration deadline March 25). Click here for registration information and here for more about changes your student will find on the new SAT exam.
- Between March 22 and April 18, Georgia 3rd graders will take the state’s Writing Evaluation Test. Click here for more on the developmental stages of a young writer.
- March 25 is a student holiday.
- Gwinnett juniors take the four subtests— language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies— of the Georgia HS Graduation Tests March 28–31. Click here to learn more about the state’s testing requirements for HS students.
Watch for the next issue of e-News in mid-April!
- April education celebrations include School Library Media Month and National Poetry Month, with Children’s International Book Day observed April 2 and National Library Week and Young People’s Poetry Week starting April 11.
- Schools are closed for Spring Break April 4-8, with all GCPS offices closed April 8.
- April 9 is a testing day for the ACT college-admissions test and the new ACT writing exam. March 4 is the deadline for registration. Click here for details on registration and here for more on the new exam.
- Gateway exams are set for Grade 4 (April 12 and 13), Grade 7 (April 12-15), and Grade 10 (April 19 and 21). For more information about the Gateway assessments, click here.
- Area Board Meetings are held in each Board member’s district during April. Click here for dates, locations, and times.
- The School Board will meet on April 14.
- Kudos to parents, mentors, and others who support public education during Public School Volunteer Week, beginning April 18.
- Under the federal No Child Left Behind Act, Georgia students in grades 3-8 will take the Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests (CRCT) April 20-26. Younger students in grades 1 and 2 take the CRCT April 26-28. Click here for descriptions and sample CRCT questions from the state Department of Education.
- April is Keep America Beautiful Month, with Earth Day celebrated April 22 and National Arbor Day on April 29.
- Thanks to the administrative support staff—secretaries, clerks, and bookkeepers—who support our schools. Administrative Professionals Week starts April 25.