Kids Can Cook - Scholarly Breakfasts
Before you prepare any of the recipes, remember to follow our number one rule in the kitchen - "Always have an adult present."
Fruit Smoothie Quick, Easy, Healthy!
1 Small Frozen Banana
1/2 Cup Frozen Strawberries
8 Ounces Vanilla Yogurt
1/4 Cup Skim Milk
1 Tablespoon Wheat Germ
1. Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust consistency with additional milk, as needed.
1 1/3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Rolled Oats
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Egg, Beaten
3/4 Cup 1% Milk
1 Tsp. Vanilla
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
3/4 Cup Fresh Blueberries
Sugar in the Raw (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper bake cups or spray with cooking spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. Use wooden spoon to make a well in center.
4. Combine egg, milk, vanilla and oil in separate bowl and add, all at once, to flour mixture.
5. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in blueberries.
6. Fill muffin cups approximately 2/3 full. Sprinkle with Sugar in the Raw.
7. Bake in over for 20 minutes or until golden.
8. Remove from pan and serve warm.
16 Ounces Low Fat Buttermilk
1 Whole Egg
2 Tbsps. Canola Oil
1 Cup + 1 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp. Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Cup Old-Fashioned Oats
2 Tablespoons Cornmeal
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsps. Sugar
4 Egg Whites
Canola Oil Cooking Spray
1. Combine the buttermilk, whole egg, and oil in large bowl.
2. Combine the flours, oats, cornmeal, baking powder, and sugar in a separate bowl.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and mix just until incorporated.
4. Whip egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the batter.
5. Lightly spray a hot waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle the batter into the waffle iron and cook until the waffles are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Peanut Butter Spread
1 Tbsp. Chunky Peanut Butter
2 Tbsps. Mashed Banana
1 Tsp. Honey
2 Four-Grain Waffles
1. Combine peanut butter, banana, and honey in a small bowl. Spread on one waffle and top with another waffle.