Kids Can Cook
ALL RECIPES REQUIRE ADULT SUPERVISION
BASIC HERB VINAIGRETTE
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 – 3 pinches salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1/3 to ½ cup tarragon vinegar and balsamic vinegar, combined
Combine all above ingredients in a small bowl or jar.
¾ cup to 1 cup olive oil
Whisk or shake until smooth or emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Use at once or cover and refrigerate.
Easy Quiche Bites
45 frozen mini phyllo shells or 4 small pastry tarts
¾ cup grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese
¾ cup chopped broccoli or spinach or ham (about ¼ pound), cooked
½ cup chopped onion
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1 cup evaporated skim milk
½ cup egg substitute
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion and broccoli, sauté 4 minutes. Add Spinach or ham if using, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Cool.
3. Combine milk and egg substitute, stir well with a whisk.
4. Place a spoonful of broccoli or ham mixture into each tart shell.
5. Fill each tart shell with milk/egg mixture.
Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes for mini shells and 30 minutes for small pastry shells, or until each quiche is done and no longer wet in the middle and a toothpick comes out clean.
Fresh Strawberry Crepe
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
1 ½ cups 1% milk
1 cup water
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Whisk flour, sugar and salt in large bowl to blend. Whisk eggs, milk, water and melted butter in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture into flour in slow stream, whisking to remove any lumps. Strain batter into 4-cup glass measuring cup. Cover and refrigerate batter at least 1 hour.
For crepes, have following items by stove-top: crepe batter, cooking spray, cooling rack, 7 to 8 inch diameter skillet pan, and 1/3 cup measuring cup.
Heat crepe pan over medium-high heat until hot. Spray with cooking spray. Whisk batter, then pour 1/3 cup batter into pan, swirling batter around by tilting pan to fully coat bottom. Cook until golden brown on bottom, about 1 minute. Flip crepe over with large flat spatula and cook second until browned in spots, about 40 seconds. Transfer crepe to rack to cool. Spray skillet with cooking spray (each time) and repeat process with remaining batter. (Make sure to whisk batter every few crepes.)
Once crepe has cooled, place it on sheet of wax paper. Pile crepes on top of each other with wax paper between each. Place stack of crepes in plastic bag and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. (If froze, thaw in refrigerator before filling.)
1 quart strawberries, sliced thin
½ cup good quality Strawberry Preserves
Combine strawberries and preserves in a medium bowl. Fill each crepe with 2-3 tablespoons of strawberry mixture. Roll-up and garnish with powdered sugar and/or whipped crème.