|1. If you are asked to pay money to get money, it might be a scam.
2. Never give out a credit card or bank account number to submit a scholarship application or participate in a service.
3. Spend the time, not the money.
4. Never invest more than a postage stamp to get information about scholarships.
5. Nobody can guarantee that you’ll win a scholarship. Programs that make promises may not be legitimate.
6. Legitimate scholarship foundations do not charge application fees.
Information from www.finaid.org and www.studentaid.ed.gov.