Communiqué Connection - Fall 2008
|Links to Learn More for Parents and Community Members|
Welcome to Communiqué Connection, where you will find links to additional information,
useful resources. In the printed version of the Fall 2008 Communiqué,
a symbol like this— — pointed the way to more information on the system web site
about the school system's math and science initiatives, community partnerships, calendars,
Well, you've come to the right place, because the links below expand
on articles recently featured in the Fall 2008 edition of Communiqué.
While you’re here, please tell us what you think of this issue of Communiqué.
Click here to take a readership survey.
The focus for this issue of Communiqué is the ways in which the school system supports student achievement by supporting students, supporting parents, and supporting schools and staff. In addition, our community members —families, business partners, citizens, and community leaders— do their part to ensure that students are ready to learn and learning at high levels. Click on the links below for expanded coverage and bonus materials that tell the story about how student achievement improves when we support students, families, and staff.
Profiles of Initiatives and Programs that Support Student Achievement
- Click here for more on GCPS’ advisement program and graduation coaches and here for a link to the Advisement & Counseling department page.
- Click here for promotion and graduation requirements for 2008-09.
- Click here for a Fall 2008 video link about Berkmar High’s Inspiration Award for the school’s Advanced Placement (AP) initiative and here for more about AP from the College Board.
- Click here for a link to the Technical Education Program page and find links to schools with specialized programs when you click here for Maxwell High School of Technology and here for the Grayson High Technical Education Program.
- Click here for details on Georgia Work Ready certification and here for Gwinnett Technical College, the closest campus for certification testing.
- Click here for registration information for GCPS’ charter high school— Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology. The registration deadline for the freshman class of 2009-10 is Jan. 23, 2009.
- Click here to meet some “distinguished gentlemen” from Annistown Elementary.
- Struggling with homework? Click here for online Homework Help, a service of GCPS and the Gwinnett County Public Library.
- Click here for a video segment on STRIVE and ADAPT from 2007-08.
- Click here and here for more on ADAPT, a transition program for young adults attending the Monarch School.
- Click here for a profile on the STRIVE program, along with a slideshow and video clip about the program.
- Click here to learn more about GCPS’ Dept. of Special Education and Psychological Services.
- Click here for more about current special education initiatives, including Child Find and the advisory council.
- Click here for information on how GCPS serves homeless children.
- Students who are involved in activities feel more connected to their school, and that can have an impact on student achievement. Click here for more on high school athletics and extracurriculars or here to visit your school’s web site.
Profiles and Programs that Support Parents
- Stay connected with your child. Click here for more on Be There.
- Click here to watch a GCPS TV “Focus” story on the ways community members support our schools.
- Click here for a GCPS TV report on a Fall 2008 Be There Fair for Title I schools.
| || |
- Click here to learn more about "ParentVision," a GCPS TV original series on teen issues for concerned parents. Recent programs cover parenting, the teen brain, Internet safety, affluenza, and postsecondary planning.
GCPS Bulletin Board, Testing, and Honors
- Click here for recent news releases detailing GCPS honors and here for more kudos and upcoming events.
- Click here for the latest Spotlight, with awards, honors, recognitions, and milestones for GCPS staff members.
- Click here to learn how you can join the GCPS team, among the best places to work in metro Atlanta.
- Click here for more about Teach Gwinnett, an alternative preparation program for teachers-to-be. Click here for a GCPS TV story on Teach Gwinnett.
- Click here for a Fall 2008 GCPS TV video on AYP and here for background on No Child Left Behind.
- Click here for a Fall 2008 video on assessment and here to learn more about GCPS’ assessment program, including recent results, information from the state Department of Education, and GCPS promotion requirements.
- Click here to check out a story that aired earlier this fall on GCPS’ vegetarian offerings on CNN and here to visit GCPS’ School Nutrition Program web page to download the new health and nutrition newsletters for students, learn about MealPay, and visit the virtual Nutri-Café.
- Click here for test prep resources, including links to practice tests for the ACT, SAT, AP exams, CRCT, and graduation tests.
- Click here for more on lacrosse in Gwinnett schools, including a video that first aired during summer this year.
While you’re here, check out these other resources…
- Click here for the GCPS TV schedule and upcoming programs.
- Click here to read recent and archived issues of eNews or sign up to receive the next issue by e-mail.
- Click here for resources and information for the Fall 2007 Communiqué Connection.
- Click here for resources and information for the Spring 2008 Communiqué Connection.