Becoming Active in Your Child's Education
|Your child’s teacher welcomes you as an active partner in your child’s education. Here are just a few ways to get involved:
- Stay informed on school and class happenings. Read newsletters and reports that come home. Check the school website and www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us for updates. Register for Gwinnett's go2 Parent Portal for safe and secure online access to key information about your child's academic career, 24/7.
- Be familiar with the AKS— That's the Academic Knowledge and Skills (AKS) curriculum your child will be learning during kindergarten. Go to "2013 Countdown to Kindergarten" on the GCPS home page for a link to the AKS for kindergarten. Your child's teacher will share more information about the curriculum when school begins.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences to discuss your child’s progress. Click here for a helpful tipsheet.
- Know the adults— teachers, principal, secretary, counselor, bus driver, and others— who work with your child daily.
- Keep samples of your child’s work so you can see and celebrate the growth your child makes this year.
- Become involved in the PTA, be a school volunteer, and attend school events and school council meetings. Whether you help in the classroom, send supplies for a party, or pitch in with an evening activity, you are a valuable resource. Be involved. You’ll learn more about your child’s education, classroom activities, and the school community.