MONTHLY NUTRITION NEWSLETTERS FOR KIDS,
TEENS AND PARENTS
Nutrition Education and Training (NEAT) Project
A nutrition education program, overseen by a registered dietitian, has been implemented at each school.
- Our staff provides nutrition education in a variety of ways through out the school year.
- We encourage our students to make healthy food choices by teaching them about the food guide pyramid in a fun, interactive and applicable way.
- We incorporate nutrition education on the serving line, on bulletin boards, with classroom visits, in print, and by attending school wide functions.
Questions - Contact our Registered Dietitian for questions concerning our menus or our nutrition education program
NEAT Project 2015-2016: Become a Nutrition Pioneer!
- Take nutrition around the globe and look at nutrition in different cultures
- Each month the schools will serve one unique food item from each culture/country
Purpose: This year long NEAT project is to enable student to become nutrition pioneers and explore the foods of different cultures and regions around the world. The project will take a global approach and incorporate fun facts and activities for the students to be engaged with the new culture both in the cafeteria and in the lunch room. Each region will play on one AKS areas incorporating food into learning outcomes.
Yearly Activity: Elementary school children will receive a passport and can receive a sticker or stamp for each new food item they sample throughout the year. At the end of the year, students who have a sticker/stamp for each region will be eligible to receive the grand nutrition pioneer award!
SY16 Monthly Topics
Country or Region
Intro to Nutrition Pioneers
Pollination and Ecology
Nutrition Pioneer Wrap Up
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing. Download a free version of the software here.
Nutrition Web Sites - Contains links to informative sites and educational games
Nutrition Standards - A list of the guidelines we follow during menu selection and food preparation
Our Vision - GCSNP's list of objectives in schools and the community
Ask a Reigstered Dietitian - Feel free to pose a question to one of our experts