About Norton |
History of R.L. Norton Elementary:
R.L. Norton Elementary School was created to alleviate overcrowding at Annistown and Centerville elementary schools in south Gwinnett county in 1985.
The school was named after Robert Lee Norton, a member of the Gwinnett County Board of Education from 1948 - 1958. Mr. Norton also served as a trustee of the Centerville School for close to twenty years before his service as a school board member. Mr. Norton resided in the Centerville area for his entire life and was dedicated to serving the community, his church and the school system.
The school officially opened its doors to students on August 25, 1986. 837 students were enrolled at Norton during its first year, with 71 teachers, paraprofessionals and support staff working directly with students.
During the 1988 - 1989 school year, the school was expanded to provide 13 additional classrooms and a special education suite. At that time, the enrollment at Norton topped 1,100 students, with 105 staff and faculty members. During the same year, the Georgia Council of the Teachers of English named Norton a Georgia School of Excellence in Language Arts.