The Board recognizes that a proactive, preventative and comprehensive wellness plan is essential for student success and staff support.
The Superintendent shall designate staff to collaborate with parents and the community to establish and maintain a wellness plan that complies with Section 204 of Public Law 108-265, Child Nutrition, WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004 and Section 204 of Public Law 111-296,
Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.
Specifically, this plan establishes goals and procedures to ensure that:
- Students of GCPS have access to healthy foods throughout the school day ‒ both through reimbursable school meals and other foods available throughout the school campus‒ in accordance with Federal and state nutrition standards;
- Students receive quality nutrition education that helps them develop lifelong healthy eating behaviors;
- Students have opportunities to be physically active before, during and after school throughout the school year;
- Schools engage in nutrition and physical activity promotion and other activities that promote student wellness;
- School staff are encouraged and supported to practice healthy nutrition and physical activity behaviors in and out of school;
- GCPS is committed to participating in Farm to School to include procurement of locally grown foods for school meals, supporting edible school gardens and nutrition education as it relates to locally grown foods;
- The community is engaged in supporting the work of GCPS in creating continuity between school and other settings for students and staff to practice lifelong healthy habits; and
- GCPS establishes and maintains an infrastructure for management, oversight, implementation, communication about and monitoring of the plan and its established goals and objectives.